Lemon Confit Chicken with Black Olives
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 6 large chicken thigh with or without bone (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- Himalayan salt and freshly ground white and black pepper
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup minced cilantro
- 1 heaping teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger or couple of ginger powder pinch
- Pinch of saffron
- 1 cup green tea
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup Calamata olives, pitted
- 1 comfit lemon
HOW TO MAKE IT :
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat 4 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the minced onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until just starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Leave in casserole or set aside.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Sear the chicken in 1 or 2 batches, until browned, about 3 minutes per side.
- Add the cinnamon sticks, parsley and cilantro, ginger, saffron, sautéed onion, white wine and stock to the casserole and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderate, cover and simmer the chicken for 40 minutes. Stir the olives and preserved lemon into the casserole and simmer until the chicken are cooked through, about 15 minutes longer. Transfer the lemon confit chicken to a warm platter and cover with foil.
- Boil the cooking liquid in the casserole over high heat until reduced by half and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Discard the cinnamon sticks. Spoon the sauce over the chicken, garnish with the cilantro sprigs and serve.